THE SURSOCK COMEBACK
The once-grand Sursock Museum opens to the public for the first time in eight years, following an extensive renovation.
Sopranos in gowns sang Italian arias before Italianate architecture, guests sipped wine and soaked in some of the finest art and photography collections the city has to offer. Thus was the scene at the grand reopening of the Sursock Museum in Ashrafiyeh last night, a sort of coming out ball for the once-beloved cultural institution that has been closed for eight years. The Sursock Residence was built by Nicolas Ibrahim Sursock in 1912; he left it to the city of Beirut following his death in 1952. It operated as a museum until nine years ago, when it closed for a $15 million renovation.
Today, the Sursock Museum features a restaurant, gardens, library and several floors of exhibition space. It will also host cultural events, tours and workshops open to the general public.