SOUFFLÉ ELSA WITH SICILY ALMONDS
Chef Paolo Sari from the Michelin-starred Elsa restaurant at the Monte-Carlo Beach Hotel shares his trademark soufflé, perfect in its simplicity.
For the base
500 ml milk
250 g of finely chopped sweet almonds
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
40 g Maizena (corn starch)
10 g flour
3 drops bitter almond extract
For the meringue
150 g egg white
50 g sugar
5 g Maïzena (corn starch)
1. In a bowl, mix together the flour, corn starch, almond powder, egg and egg yolk.
2. Bring the milk to a boil with the almond extract then gradually pour the milk into a bowl with the other ingredients, stirring continuously. Place on the stove, cooking at moderate heat for 10 minutes. Remove from the stove and allow to cool.
3. Beat the egg whites until firm with sugar and corn starch. Incorporate them to the first mixture, delicately folding with a spatula using an up and down movement.
5. Grease four soufflé moulds with butter and coat with sugar then pour the mixture into the moulds and smooth the top.
6. Cook in a preheated over at 185 ° C for 12 minutes, without opening the oven door. Cover with powdered cocoa and icing sugar, and serve immediately.